EDUCATIONJ.D. University of Denver
- Vice President of International Law Society
- General Editor of Law Review
HONORS & AWARDS
Kevin is a litigator, estate planner and business lawyer. He helps individuals, small businesses, and regional and international corporations solve problems and conflicts ranging from simple breach of contract disputes to complex commercial litigation.
Kevin’s litigation practice focuses on real estate disputes, automotive supplier disputes, shareholder and member disputes, defending class actions, landlord tenant disputes and representing banks and lending institutions in contract disputes with individual and commercial borrowers. He has taken and defended depositions of individuals, employees, CFOs and CEOs, participated in all aspects of discovery, and drafted and argued substantive issues before the court.
Kevin also advises clients with respect to estate planning for estates of all sizes, requiring wills, revocable trusts and powers of attorney, as well as more complicated wealth preservation and wealth transfer techniques. Kevin’s estate planning approach focuses on creating custom estate plans that address each client’s individual goals.
Kevin also assists individuals, banks and lending institutions with forming new business entities, real estate transactions, negotiating and drafting contracts and compliance and tax issues.
REPRESENTATIVE MATTERSKevin’s litigation experience includes:
- Successfully representing purchaser of multi-million dollar historic skyscraper in Detroit requiring the seller to complete the sale;
- Obtaining denial of class certification and dismissal of novel and complex class action claims relating to premiums on behalf of a regional insurance company;
- Representing an OEM in UCC breach of warranty supplier disputes;
- Conducting a corporate investigation in response to shareholder demand letters on behalf of a national insurance company’s board of directors;
- Representing numerous banks and financial institutions to recover collateral and secure judgments against individual and commercial borrowers; and
- Representing both landlords and tenants in commercial disputes.
- Designing, documenting and implementing coordinated wealth transfer programs utilizing revocable and irrevocable trusts, such as insurance trusts and annual gift trusts;
- Designing and implementing unique estate plans to meet clients’ charitable objectives with maximum tax benefit; and
- Successfully modifying existing irrevocable trusts through decanting.
- Drafting member and shareholder purchase agreements and operating agreements for various business entities;
- Representing individuals and businesses in jet acquisitions, including fractional share ownership, to ensure FAA and IRS compliance: negotiated purchase agreements; structured operating entities; and drafted aircraft leases, pilot services and management agreements;
- Livonia Human Relations Commission, Member, 2016-Present
- The University of Detroit Mercy American Inns of Court, 2013-2016
- American Red Cross Disaster Relief Volunteer, New Orleans, LA, 2005
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Michigan