EDUCATIONJ.D. with high distinction - University of Michigan Law School - Order of the Coif - 1966
B.A. with high distinction - Wayne State University - Phi Beta Kappa - 1963
Robert E. Epstein
Bob has focused on commercial real estate and corporate law throughout his distinguished career.Bob joined Barris, Sott, Denn & Driker in 1990. His career has included both private practice and a seven-year stint in the 1980's with Borman's, Inc., a NYSE company and operator of the Farmer Jack supermarkets, where his roles included General Counsel and Director. His broad practice has encompassed corporate and commercial real estate.
- Bob's corporate practice has included numerous sizeable business transactions which included representing: the owners of a distribution business selling to a financial buyer; a public utility in acquiring a closely held family business, and in acquiring a subsidiary/division of another public company; outside investor-operators purchasing the 50% interest of retiring "founders" while restructuring the company for the future with the remaining 50% "operating" owners; the shareholders of two closely held high-tech companies whose stock was being acquired by public companies; the sweat-equity participants in formation of two separate high-tech startups with equity investors; and the seller of a minority interest in a successful publishing venture. He also works closely with the litigation group in business disputes and split-ups. His broad experience allows Bob to bring a wealth of practical business sense to his practice.
- Realty projects have involved both new development, and creative redevelopment, of commercial properties, along with a continuing specialty in leasing particularly from the tenant's perspective.
- Prior experience includes inventive recapitalizations, securities filings, and the full range of legal affairs of a major Michigan business, including management of substantial litigation by outside counsel.
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC LEADERSHIP
- Jewish Vocational Service: Member, Board of Trustees and Executive Committee
- Great Lakes Yacht Club: Many years of service on the Board of Directors