Banking and Lending
EDUCATIONBoston University School of Law, L.L.M. (Taxation)
University of Toledo College of Law, J.D.
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, B.G.S.
HONORS & AWARDS
Ryan zealously pursues his clients’ interests in and out of litigation. He is competitive, determined, analytical, and creative.
Ryan has an active mind and enjoys finding solutions to challenging problems. He regularly thinks about his clients and their objectives outside of "work." His practice is concentrated in complex litigation and commercial transactions.
As a litigator, he has experience in all phases of litigation. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in complex litigation in areas and industries including automotive, supply chain, real estate, aerospace and defense, shareholder rights and oppression, employment, executive compensation, internal investigations, probate, insurance claims and coverage, patent licensing and royalties, banking, FINRA, state and federal class action, and mass torts.
He is admitted to practice in Massachusetts (2010), Michigan (2013), and the Eastern District of Michigan (2012). He has practiced in state and federal courts including in Delaware, Texas, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Arizona, New York, Connecticut, Minnesota, and Michigan.Ryan has been selected as a Michigan “Rising Star” in the area of Business Litigation Super Lawyers every year since 2013.
Representative Matters and Experience
- Extensive experience in e-discovery including collection, processing, and review of Electronically Stored Information (“ESI”). Has successfully obtained court ordered forensic examinations of servers, computers, and other storage mediums based on opposing litigants’ failures in discovery.
- Represented aerospace engine manufacturer in warranty and pricing litigation against supplier of complex electronic and hydro-mechanical engine components.
- Trial team for Federal Court trial involving interpretation of a contract prohibiting use of ingredients in competing energy drinks and the classification of chemical compounds in the contract.
- Representation of Surgeon in claim process and settlement negotiations with insurer of long-term disability policy.
- Representation of patent licensee in litigation against licensor.
- Representation of LLC individual members in disputes with partners and partnerships over valuation and purchase/sale rights and obligations in business entities.
- Defended financial institutions from claims brought under the TCPA.
- Represented real estate developers in litigation relating to construction, appraisals, purchases, sales, receiverships, and mismanagement.
- Representation of employer in defending discrimination and wrongful termination claims against it by former executive.
- Trial team for The City of Farmington Hills Employees Retirement in litigation against Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. $62.5 million settlement achieved.
- Member of lead counsel’s litigation team in In re American International Group Securities Litigation 2008 (S.D.N.Y.) which pursued claims against AIG and PwC and settled in 2014 for $970.5 million –the largest shareholder class action settlement in history for a case lacking criminal or regulatory enforcement action.
- As counsel to Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in In re New England Compounding Pharmacy, Inc. Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2419 (D. Mass) (nationwide fungal meningitis outbreak/contaminated steroid injections), participated in dispositive motions and conducted depositions of national defendants and experts on behalf of over 2,000 tort claimants who suffered injury or death.
- Represented executive in litigation against former employer for breach of stockholder, employment, and option award agreements.
- Represented Tier 1 suppliers and shippers in lawsuits arising from unpaid interstate freight charges owed to carriers by other supply chain participants.
- Represented client in litigation related to breach of non-compete, unfair competition, and theft of trade secrets.
- Represented trustee in litigation with trust beneficiary petitioning probate court to order gifting of trust assets.
- Conducted internal investigation for client after occurrence of damaging explosion caused by outside vendor.
- Negotiated distribution and supply agreements.
- Negotiated leases for commercial landlord including sales based revenue sharing and cost sharing components.
- Negotiated exclusive leasing and distribution agreement between craft beer brewery and commercial landlord for opening of a tap room.
- Represented purchasers and sellers in real estate transactions.
- Business entity formations, sales, purchases, and workouts.
- Tax and estate planning for high wealth individuals with complex needs and circumstances.
- Negotiation of and consulting on employment agreements and compensation plans for executives and physicians.
Civic and Professional Involvement
- Member, Board of Directors for the Auburn Hills Community Foundation which funds worthwhile community endeavors that are not typically supported by local government.
- Member, 2013 Multiple Sclerosis Leadership Class for the MS Society, Michigan Chapter. In 2008, he was a Top 100 fundraiser in Michigan for the Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- Recipient, 2005 Outstanding Civilian Commendation Award from the Troy, MI Police Department.
- Member, Brother Rice Warrior Bar Association.
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Michigan