PRACTICE AREASBanking and Lending
EDUCATIONJ.D. University of Michigan Law School
B.A. University of Michigan
HONORS & AWARDS
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Recognized in Chambers USA America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV Preminent 5
William G. Barris
Bill has over four decades of real estate experience representing lenders and developers.This includes representation of numerous real estate lenders, owner-investors, and large developers with regard to retail, shopping center, office, high-tech, industrial and hotel projects in Michigan and other states.
Bill has a unique perspective on all aspects of real estate transactional work. His philosophy is to find common-sense solutions to issues so that transactions do not become bogged down by unnecessary roadblocks.
Bill is chairman of the firm's real estate department.
- Counsel to real estate developers in more than four billion dollars ($4,000,000,000) of real estate related transactions
- Represented a developer and affiliates in a multi-state acquisition of five office buildings, acquisition of four Michigan office buildings and acquisition of 24 industrial buildings with purchase prices of $155,000,000.00, $156,000,000.00 and $143,000,000.00, respectively
- Represented a developer of office-industrial buildings in the sale of 23 buildings for $48,000,000.00
- Represented a developer and affiliates in the sale of an office building in Hawaii for $71,000,000.00
- Representation of lenders for over thirty years in hundreds of millions of dollars of commercial real estate loan transactions
- Represented what was, at the time, the commercial mortgage division of the largest bank in Michigan in financing the expansion of an existing hospital and construction of a new satellite hospital
- Representation of developer-borrowers in numerous securitized mortgage transactions in excess of $25,000,000.00 each
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC LEADERSHIP
- Franklin Hills Country Club (2001 to present; Vice President, 2003 - 2004; President, 2004-2006)
- Farmington Hills Police Benevolent Association (Past Board Member)
- United Cerebral Palsy of Metropolitan Detroit (Past Board Member)