EDUCATIONJ.D., Magna Cum Laude - Order of the Coif - Wayne State University Law School - 2004
B.A., Cum Laude - Hope College - 1998
HONORS & AWARDS
- Super Lawyer’s “Rising Star” (2013-2016); Super Lawyer (2017-2018)
- Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Star 2014
- Raymond Krell Scholarship
- Federal Bar Association Edward H. Rakow Scholarship
- Alexander Freeman Fellowship
- Silver Key Certificate
- Dean's Scholarship
- Faculty Award
Matt is a dynamic rising star in business litigation.Matthew counsels small and large businesses in complex litigation and real estate matters. Matthew also assists lenders in workouts, collection actions, and bankruptcy.
Matthew graduated from Wayne State University Law School, magna cum laude, and was elected into the local chapter of the Order of the Coif. During law school, he served as an executive editor on the Wayne Law Review and earned many academic awards and scholarships, including a fellowship to study at The Hague Academy of International Law.
Matthew is dedicated to providing pro bono services to individuals and organizations in need.
- Represented business owner in claims for damages resulting from the taking of property for the Gordie Howe International Bridge
- Assisted lender in recovering more than $2 million in funds that were fraudulently transferred
- Obtained summary disposition for lender on issues of choice of law in a foreclosure and deficiency action related to out-of-state collateral.Judgment and award of attorney fees were affirmed on appeal. Talmer Bank and Trust v Parikh, 304 Mich App 373 (2014)
- Obtained summary disposition for physician group against potential member seeking return of capital contribution following breach of employment agreement
- Defended global consulting company against claims of actuarial malpractice
- Obtained substantial arbitration award for downtown Detroit residential real estate developer in action against builder for construction defects; further assisted developer in obtaining permits and certificates of occupancy for condominiums
- Counseled the City of Detroit Charter Revision Commission in crafting the new city charter adopted by the citizens of Detroit in 2011
- Pro Bono Representation of prisoner falsely accused of attempted escape from prison
- Pro Bono representation of citizens seeking to have criminal records expunged, helping them make the most of their opportunities
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Michigan